Monday, May 31, 2010

A year ago tonight...

I made my husband a sandwich for work the next day.  I was a week overdue with the little Wum, and he told me he wasn't going to need it since I was going to have her the next day.  I scoffed, but then my water broke at 1:30 am... he brought the sandwich with him to the delivery room (much to the envy of our midwife at about 6 am!).

Yesterday we celebrated LW's 1st birthday with both our families and a few friends.  My camera battery died after about three shots, so this is all I have, but more to come when my dad sends me the photos from his camera :)

Here's the cake I made - sort of a hard luck cake, I made a double recipe, which turned out to not make enough layers, so I made another double recipe, and then had one layer too many.  Then, the day turned humid which created some problems with the icing.  But I think it turned out pretty well (especially considering I had to mix everything by hand, since I don't have a mixer - whipping icing by hand is a *tough* job!).


and then the big moment...


No picture of her blowing it out, as she immediately reached for the flame, and whoosh, Jim blew it out.

But she did very much seem to enjoy gnoshing down a huge slice of birthday cake :)



Anyway, the cake tasted great (it was a perfect first birthday cake - loaded with sweet potato, and even the cream cheese frosting was sort of "healthy") and received rave reviews, and LW received some great presents that have been keeping her quite busy.  We've been taking today to really relax after the hectic weekend (cleaning before, cleaning up after, and a sugar-high almost one-year old), but I've been reflecting on a year with a little one, and will write something more meaningful for her real birthday tomorrow.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!  Prayers for all our beloved deceased, and for all who have lost someone, especially those who have lost military family or friends.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I spent the afternoon baking a birthday cake here (Maple Syrup cake with maple butter cream icing) for Auntie Gayle's birthday. In between cake segments I continued working on my sewing project. I think it's beginning to come under control, although I've turned the top inside out (one of the steps) at least 10 times already, redone some seams and still have two seams to sew and a bunch of hand sewing to do. Maybe by next weekend... I swear she's going to have grown out of it before she ever wears it. Looking at her yesterday I began to think I should have done the next size up, despite what the pattern measurements say.

Great party yesterday and the cake was truly delicious and beautiful as well. It was much more professional looking than any first birthday cake I ever managed (carrot cake both times around and the wonkiest looking cakes you've ever seen because I frosted them instead of having your father do it).

Karen said...

Happy Birthday to you little one!!

And the cake loos great!

Karen said...

*looks great

I'm typing one handed due to baby. Forgive me!

Abby said...

Thanks! and no apologies needed. One day soon I'm sure I'll be leaving a comment on your blog, and my little one will mash the keyboard with her hand (a favorite pastime) and my comment will be *far* more garbled :)