Thursday, June 24, 2010

What a week!

It's been so busy here, lately.  My husband has been very busy with funerals, I've been trying to get my work done and do a lot else in the rest of the time, so I haven't been online much.  I guess I shouldn't feel too bad, though, since that is the general trend in blog-land - almost every post I read says something to the effect of "sorry I haven't posted lately, life has been so busy!".

Here in the Northeast, we're busy cramming as much into the summer days of daylight and warmth as possible.  This season goes all too fast, and soon we'll be trapped back indoors, and will turn our focus back to mental rather than physical pursuits, like more blogging.

Of course, right now it is pouring buckets and cool, not warm and sunny (hence, I'm online!).

A few bits and pieces of our life lately:

-Our Little Wum has finally started to walk!  She hasn't made it more than three steps before sitting down yet, but she stands alone for longer each day.  In a month I'll probably have to run to catch up with her.

-I felt the Quebec earthquake yesterday!  I was sitting at my desk doing some work, and LW was napping, when I started to feel really strange - almost sick strange, and thought that I was shaking badly (like my blood sugar was super low).  Then I realized that it wasn't me shaking, but rather, the room.  The pictures on our walls started to knock slightly, and the weirdest feeling under foot.  It lasted long enough for me to ponder whether I should wake LW and take her outside, and what the safest place would be; I was waiting to see if it would get any worse but it just faded away (I was actually a little disappointed).  Still, it's the first one that I actually was very awake and aware for (VT doesn't get many earthquakes).  We had one in 2002 when I was in college, early in the morning; I woke up to my (loft) bed shaking, and in my half-dreaming state thought that it was just the garbage truck making such a rumble.

-I've spent all week looking for a lost object, only to finally have to concede that I must have absentmindedly thrown it out in the trash.  Unfortunately, said lost object (my retainer) is going to cost a bit to replace...

-We've started looking at houses!  The first visit was pretty much a dud- the land was gorgeous, but every room in the house would need to be stripped and redone (like back to the studs in the walls), and we're just not up for quite that much of a fixer-upper.  We also weren't convinced that the structure itself was 100% solid.  But we'll keep looking!  It's a challenge to try to find everything we are looking for with the budget we have, but it is exciting to be looking just the same.

-The garden keeps growing nicely; we've got over 30 tomatoes slowly ripening on their vines, I haven't bought lettuce in weeks, and am harvesting herbs regularly.  It feels good to have such an intimate relationship with the food we are eating, and I can't wait to be able to grow an even bigger garden in the future.  Having such a tiny little plot has been a great experience, though - it has shown me exactly what you can do with a small space, and how much easier a small space can be to take care of, as well.

-LW's BG diapers should arrive today!  Much excitement, there.  Of course with the pouring rain, she may not get to wear them today, since I may not be able to wash and dry them.

Anyway, my husband is taking a day off today, the baby is awake, and I'm all done with work by 10:30 (this might be because said baby woke us up at 5:50 am) so I'm off to enjoy the day.  Hope you're all having blessed days in this busy season!

2 comments:

Josée said...

Lost items... yep I feel your pain. Somehow I've accidentally thrown away the mixer attachment for my counter top mixer ?? I blame it on mommy brain...

You should post a picture of your garden. Sounds like things are growing well. My vegetable garden is in the most pitiful state. I'm much better at growing flower and rabbits :)

Anonymous said...

Hooray for first steps and good luck with the home hunting!

We are also trying to cram as much outdoor time as possible into these summer days, so I totally understand :)