Saturday, June 5, 2010

A quickie recipe I thought I would share

Last night I was tired, not in the mood to spend much time at the stove, and didn't have much food in the house.  This is a combination that, to be honest, most often results in a pizza being magically delivered to our door.  But in the interest of frugality, I whipped together the following instead.  Husband pronounced it good, and I thought I would share :)

Ravioli with Brown Butter Sage Sauce
Frozen ravioli (I used a spinach/ricotta stuffed variety, but just cheese stuffed is good as well, and I bet pumpkin ravioli would be awesome)
Handful of fresh sage leaves (we harvested straight from the garden = super fresh and delicious)
Several tbsp of butter (adjusted based on how many you're serving)
Parmesan cheese
Garlic salt
Prepare frozen (or fresh, but if you're short on time, the former is a lot easier) ravioli according to package directions.  I use about 1/2 a bag for two of us.
While ravioli is cooking, put a couple of tbsp of butter in a frying pan, and melt on med-high heat.  The sage soaks up some of the butter, and you want enough extra floating around to well coat the ravioli when you are done; I used about 3 tbsp or so for the 1/2 bag, so use more or less depending on how much ravioli you are cooking.
Once the butter is melted, throw in your washed, dried, fresh sage leaves.   Sprinkle with garlic salt to taste, and then stir while cooking over med-high heat.  As soon as the sage starts to curl and get crispy, remove sauce from heat and set aside - it will continue to cook and crisp a little once off the heat, so make sure you don't overcook it.
Drain ravioli, toss with sauce to coat, and finish by grating some fresh parmesan cheese over the top.  Do not remove the sage leaves - these are the tastiest part!
Serve with a side salad (we had yummy fresh lettuce from the garden, plus tomato and cucumber from the store), and a loaf of crusty bread; make a dipping sauce for the bread by grating fresh garlic into a bowl and pouring some olive oil over it.
Tada!  Dinner ready in 15 minutes or less.  Beat that, Rachael Ray :)


What about you all?  Any good, quick, go-to meals for those nights when you are just so tempted to do takeout?

4 comments:

Liz said...

You mean other than tuna wiggle??? Well tonight we had london broil, texas toast with french fries, sugar snap peas, and tiramisu (from the store). It was mostly frozen stuff, even the steak, and it was mostly stuff that had been in the freezer for a bit (other than the steak and the dessert, oh and the texas toast which I just bought today). But yesterday night was fast too (pasta with tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella cheese accompanied by garlic bread from the store).

Actually sometimes I wonder whether I ever don't do fast meals, but I guess that the lamb stew I made on Thursday more fell into the slow cooked category. I actually like that sage butter on bruschetta with chicken livers cooked in the sage butter. Zctually come to think of it I like the flavor of sage and butter together just about any old way.

Karen Edmisten said...

That sounds delicious, Abby! The other night, I needed something quick but good and used frozen shrimp and pasta. Sauteed some chopped garlic in olive oil, cooked the pasta, rinsed the shrimp to thaw it out, through some Italian seasoning into the whole mix, and some fresh parmesan cheese, too, as I mixed it all together. Everyone but Ramona loved it. :)

Abby said...

Mom - tuna wiggle is a no-go for Jim - he likes tunafish ok, and tuna noodle casserole, but like so many others, seems to have tuna wiggle forever categorized as bad cafeteria food. I pretty much always do quick meals these days, too (under 30 min), but this one was particularly quick.

Karen - shrimp and pasta, yum yum! also too bad that my husband doesn't do shellfish :P he's not a hugely picky eater, but the three l's - liver, lamb, and lobster are right out, and the two s's - shellfish and sushi - are off the menu too. Too bad, because I love all of those things :) Maybe I'll make your recipe some lunchtime when he isn't home :)

Liz said...

Karen, that sounds like a quicker and lower calorie version of shrimp scampi. Scampi actually is one of the fast meals around here, except that it isn't all that fast if I have to take the shells off the shrimp...

I think Abby's brother got tuna wiggle too many 4-H meeting nights growing up. Abby still likes it, but Gabe simply won't eat it. It is strange that both he and Jim like tuna noodle casserole and not tuna wiggle since it seems to me that the flavors are pretty similar, maybe the potato chips on the tuna noodle takes away the sting of bad cafeteria food.