Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday update

Today, the CEO of my company decided to give all employees the afternoon off - which means a very light work day for me, and the chance to actually enjoy both of LW's naps instead of having to work through them. And the weather is even beautiful, to boot!

A few things that I've found or been pondering lately:

1)  We've officially, I think, found a laundry detergent that I like - eco-friendly, no enzymes or brighteners or dyes or things bad for us or the environment, and gosh, it actually *works* as well:  Planet.  We tried soap nuts, and they did an ok job getting smells out of clothing, but just didn't have the cleaning power for things like food stains or my husband's work socks (that he wears to the cemetery, and somehow grinds copious amounts of dirt into - literally - they come home brown instead of white).  But I actually think Planet works better than Tide, and leaves no residue - everything is just soft and *clean*.  So we'll see how it performs in the future, but for now it's working good.  I'm really happy because I was desperate to find one thing that would work on all our laundry, from work clothes, to baby clothes, to cloth diapers.

2)  On the subject of cloth diapers:  the BumGenius report!  So far, I really, really like them.  They fit well, are soft, really do a fairly decent (though not 100%) job of wicking away moisture, and are really easy to clean (especially with the diaper sprayer that we bought back in the beginning and haven't gotten to really use due to the rash saga).  However - LW's bottom hasn't seemed to like them as well as I have; she had a rash starting after the first day.  I should note that we only bought three to try, so I've been washing them once or twice a day to be able to keep her in them as a trial, and then using a disposable at night.

3)  But!  I think I may have stumbled on a rash solution!  I am really excited about this, because it seems to actually be working, the first thing that has made any dent in the rash while she's in cloth, and it's such a silly and cheap solution.  I bought a $4 bottle of acidophilus capsules at the grocery store, and split one open, mix with some breastmilk to form a paste, and put that on at each diaper change.  The redness, so far, seems to be disappearing...  if this actually works, it confirms my suspicion that she actually had an underlying yeast overgrowth going on, which the cloth diapers caused to flare.  In which case, it would be good to get it cleared up and her skin back into balance, rather than using the sposies just to keep it at bay.  For now though, only time will tell.  I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe, just maybe, I've found the answer, but I've been thwarted enough times on this journey to know that there's a huge possibility of this strategy failing as well.  Still, it's the first glimmer of hope we've had in cloth diapering land since we started the whole process.  Plus, the BG's are just too darn nice to not be able to use!

4)  I'm reading an awesome book that my mom dropped off for me, which many of you would probably like as well: Radical Homemakers, by Shannon Hayes.  It's a really uplifting, thoughtful read, and makes you think about (and want to put into action) a lot of her suggestions for changing our lives and communities.  I'm also finding it a great antidote for those moments when I'm tempted to try and keep up with the Joneses.  She really stresses the idea, which I've found very true lately, that happiness isn't found in things, but in people, community, ideas, abilities, productive work, etc.  I also really like her take on self-sufficiency versus community - that we shouldn't strive to be self-sufficient in ourselves (i.e. as isolated persons or nuclear families, trying to go it all on our own in defiance and separation from the world), but rather seek to make our communities self-sufficient, so that neighbor helps neighbor, and the community as a whole can be more self-reliant, and thus less reliant on corporations, etc.  This idea answers a need that I've felt for a long time, to be more a part of an actual neighborhood and community; I really dislike the isolation of living in a house surrounded by other houses, but never getting to know your neighbors as people.  Yet I've found it hard to overcome that prevailing model... so often, my neighbors have seemed to simply not want to be known.

Not too much else going on in my brain at the moment, and LW will wake up soon, so happy Friday everyone!  Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

6 comments:

Liz said...

So much of the time when I was a young mom I had neighbors whom I knew and actually did some things with. Cathy and I went on long walks with our babies, Martha and I delivered lambs together, etc. However, there were always some neighbors who weren't all that neighborly, and of late the tipping point had seemed to be reached and it almost seemed like it was all of them. However, I have to remind myself that the Carpenters are around the corner and actually are somewhat kindred spirits. I just miss having someone right across the street, even if they weren't always the most kindred spirits...

Today an old homeschool friend offered me rhubarb plants, should get them next week, although she lives in Middletown Springs. I think that one of the hard parts about the solution of getting away from the extractive culture is that so many of the people around us prefer to embrace it. I think maybe that's why I really love going to the Farmer's Market. It just feels like I'm encountering the people who are doing things that really matter. Sometimes, although not always, it's like that when I deal with the people in 4-H.

Of course, one of the things that struck me about Radical Homemakers is how much of it we've generally done, and to what extent it's the way I was raised. Part of the time while I was reading it I felt like, hey I could have written this... Glad you're enjoying the book. Thank Coffee Catholic, I'm pretty sure her site was where I first saw it mentioned.

Here's hoping that your home remedy really does work on LW's rash.

Josée said...

Hmmm... a bum rash is no fun. Do bum creams help at all? You could always place a micro-fleece liner in the cloth diaper and then put some cream on her bum(so that you don't get any on the diaper itself). I've found that placing my little ones diaper free in the sun helps heal rashes as well.

That book looks really interesting. My library has it on order so I placed a hold on it - I can't wait to get it!

Abby said...

Hi Josee -

I think you'll like the book. Maybe not agree with everything in it (I didn't, necessarily) but I thought most of it was right on!

LW's rash.. sigh :) I've tried pretty much every suggestion in the book in the year since she was born, and *nothing* seemed to work as long as she was still in the cloth diapers. Sunning her bottom, rash creams (at least 5 different kinds!) with liners, "stay dry" liners, naked time, Lotrimin, breast milk, olive oil, coconut oil, wipe wash with witch hazel and tea tree oil... you name it, I've tried it. That doesn't even include switching detergent brands 3 or 4 times, boiling the diapers, bleaching the diapers, vinegar, baking soda... What eventually tamed it was to switch to disposables full time, which we did, and then she'd only occasionally have a flare that took a few days to bring down. But, I so badly wanted cloth to work, so I kept trying (it just didn't seem logical to me that there wasn't a way to make it work). So far, the acidophilus and breast milk has kept her rash free all day, despite the cloth diapers, and her skin looks as clean and clear as I think it has almost ever looked... so I'm really thinking that she may have had a yeast problem all along, and that the 'sposies were just dry enough (plus I'd been airing her out at every change because that seemed to prevent "flares") to keep things under control. I'm hoping that I've finally found the answer, though! I had to have antibiotics for group B strep when she was born, so it's possible that she got colonized in the very beginning with the wrong balance of bacteria. Only time will tell, though... Probably now that I've written all about my "solution", she'll flare back up and leave me as confused as before :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Planet detergent. I use Seventh Generation, which I really like, and, bonus, I can find around here easily :)

Poor LW... I have no experience with rashes. But, it could definitely be yeast. I know it's so easy for babies to become repeatedly re-infected (the doctor drilled that into my head when she diagnosed my son's thrush).

How hard has it been to dry the BG? I've heard it can take a while to completely dry the AIOs.

You and your mother seem to have great taste in books. My "must read" list expands every time I open your blog :)

Abby said...

Heddy -

What kind of dipes do you use? We have 7th Generation around here (the company is actually based in Burlington), but I'd heard some stuff about it making pocket diapers repel because of the plant oils. I use their dish soap, though, and love it.

The BG are actually a pocket diaper (we got the one size 3.0), and so the pocket part is super quick to dry; on a decently warm/sunny day it only takes a half an hour to an hour for the pocket part to hang dry. The inserts, on the other hand, take *forever* - like 6 hours in the sun. But fortunately the prefolds we bought back in the beginning work perfectly as inserts, too, so when I don't have a dry microfiber, I stick one of those in.

I definitely think it was/is yeast - using the probiotics on her bottom, she's stayed rash free in the cloth all week. Wish I'd figured that out earlier! I'm planning to get some good baby probiotics to start feeding her.

Can't take credit for the good book taste - it really all comes from my mom, who is always suggesting good reads. I have so little time to read these days it seems but she keeps what time I have occupied in a delightful manner.

Anonymous said...

Ermm yeah...I totally knew BG 3.0 was a pocket diaper, haha. I guess this means I've been out of cloth too long, when I start confusing AIO and pockets :(

That's a really great price you got you new dipes at. I really wanted to try BG to start with, but I heard they weren't good for newborns (the fit, that is). So I used organic prefolds with bummis covers. Whenever I get back into cloth, though, I'm going to check out BG.

Does using a prefold instead of the microfiber insert make the diaper ridiculously bulky?