Monday, June 21, 2010

A BG 3.0 Update

Update:  I've been washing diapers once or twice a day to keep LW in them as much as possible, and am sprinkling acidophilus on her at every change... and I think we may have success!  The rash has not returned and things look as clear as they have in months.  We went ahead and took the plunge, and have 12 more BG's due to arrive in the mail sometime soon (I was able to get a great deal at Nicki's diapers - I think it worked out to around $13.80/diaper, which is over $4 less than usual).  Still expensive, each diaper is still over a week's worth of Huggies, but hopefully they'll last until potty training (and maybe into the next baby).

So - for anyone out there whose baby has ever struggled with repeated rashes that seemed to be aggravated by cloth - try probiotics.  It can't hurt, and I wish I'd tried it 6 months ago.

Also, so far I'm really loving the pocket diapers.  I liked prefolds and covers, but the fit was always really fussy, and if I didn't use a snappi (which was a lot more work than just laying a diaper into the cover), the diaper would sag down and the cover would roll inward until the edge of the elastic was biting into her tummy.  This hasn't happened at all with the BG's, and I love how she just has nice soft fabric everywhere next to her skin.  I like the suedecloth a lot, too - it seems cooler and thinner than microfleece, and definitely keeps her dry.  She may get "damp" when her diaper needs to be changed, but not sopping like the insert.  The BG's also fit a lot better than her Thirsties covers did.  Not sure how the velcro will hold up in the long run - I've heard reports of that failing and a lot of people prefer Fuzzi Bunz for that reason, but I was worried about the fleece in the Fuzzi's being too warm.  Also, changing time is a nightmare these days; she hates staying on her back for more than 5 seconds, and screaming fits tend to ensue, so I couldn't imagine trying to fiddle with snaps...  most of the time I can't even get the three snaps for her onesie done up before she has escaped.

We'll see how things go once the diapers arrive and I'm really at it full time, but it feels good to have her back in cloth again, and to have maybe figured out the problem!

2 comments:

Josée said...

Yay! I'm glad the rash is clearing up :) I was a little worried there.

Monkey went through that whole "hating to get his diaper changed" stage too. It drove me nuts! I had to lay him on the floor and pin him down with my feet so that I was able to change him. It was the worst with messy poops! I feel for you, really I do :S

About the BG velcro... yes it does start to wear after a while but there are replacement kits available. I've my BG 3.0 for Monkey and now Sweetpea and I'm thinking in a few month I may have to replace the velcro on a few of them. They still work fine but the velcro just looks worn.

Karen said...

If the only potential problem is wearing velcro, you have a pretty good deal! Velcro is easy to fix.