Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Yarn Along #3

What with one thing or another (illness, busyness) I didn't have a chance to post my "Yarn Along" the last two weeks.  However, that doesn't mean I wasn't knitting! 

Currently In Progress:


I stole an idea from Josee at Through the Thorns to the Stars and started an Easter dress for my daughter.  I'm using the "Bloom" pattern on Ravelry, by Georgie Hallam.  I love her patterns - they are so clearly and cleverly written, and so girly and pretty!  The yarn is Knit Picks Swish DK in Sugarplum.  I started this about a week ago, and it is knitting up quite quickly.

Other Projects I've Completed Recently:



Remember the fingerless gloves to match my hat?  All done, and I'm getting great use out of them as spring lingers late in the northeast (in fact, it's rumored we're going to get hit with another snowstorm on Friday).  I'm sick of the cold, but at least my hands will be warm!  It's amazing how comfy fingerless gloves are; I find that I want to leave them all the time, and I can, because my fingers are still free.

Also, in the interim, I made a toddler-sized Shalom Cardigan.  Sizing was a stab in the dark, because I couldn't/didn't want to figure out the math for what gauge I should be shooting for, and really didn't want to adjust the number of stitches.  The adult-size pattern called for US 10.75 (7 mm) needles and bulky weight yarn; I subbed DK weight yarn (Knit Picks Swish DK in the discontinued color Periwinkle) and used US size 6 (4.25 mm).  I didn't adjust the stitch count at all, although I did add two extra button holes and slightly reduce the number of stitches cast off into the sleeves, thus increasing the bodice size slightly so that the cardigan could close for those two extra buttons.  It turned out so perfect!  My next project, after I finish LW's dress, will be to make one of these for myself.



Here's LW modeling it (actually, I distracted her with bubbles so that she'd hold still for pictures)



"Bubbles!"

"Done with the bubbles.  Take this sweater off NOW"
and what it looks like from behind (pardon the dark shot)


What I'm Reading:

A couple of random books arrived in the mail earlier this week.  They were addressed to me, but I hadn't ordered them, and was baffled as to where they had come from.  Turns out my cousin was sending me birthday gifts from afar.  One of those books was a volume of poetry: Red Bird, by Mary Oliver.  I'm very much enjoying it (as I could have guessed I would - my cousin has excellent taste in books).  I'm also finding myself reaching for Perelandra lately, to re-read it for about the hundredth time.  It's a great book for Lent, because it explores the nature of sin, grace, paradise lost and paradise retained; it's also a great book for any time when the future is a little bit unclear.  I'll leave you with my very favorite quote:
"He gave me no assurance.  No fixed land.  Always one must throw oneself into the wave." - C.S. Lewis, Perelandra
Happy knitting, everyone!  As always, be sure to head over to Small Things for the Yarn Along roundup.

4 comments:

karen said...

Wow you have finished so many knitting projects. All of them are lovely.

Josée said...

That shalom sweater is so cute! You did a great job guessing the size, I don't think I would have been able to figure it out. I'd like to knit one for myself though.

An wow! nice hat and gloves, great cable work.

That little Easter dress is coming along beautifully. Georgie Hallam's patterns are great :)

Liz said...

I just bought a different Georgie Hallam pattern (Cassia) on Ravelry and ordered some yarn from Knit Picks to make it with. I also ordered yarn for the other dress, but I'm a little afraid I'm not going to be able to unpuff the sleeves. I'll have to see once I get into it. I ordered one yarn in a sort of aqua blue and the other in a purple that's darker and brighter than the one you're using, but not as dark as eggplant. Ordering off Ravelry was easier than I anticipated. Now I'll see whether top down knitting is easier than I anticipate...

no spring chicken said...

Very beautiful knits, all of them! I am a fan of C.S. Lewis yet I still haven't read that series. Thanks for the reminder.