Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Yarn Along # 2

Time for another Yarn Along!  Find a ton more Yarn Along posts over at Small Things.

Wow, the week flew by.  But I was right, thinking about Yarn Alongs did prompt me to start another project right away.  It also started me searching through the endless archives at Ravelry, and making many plans for projects to come.

Currently on my needles:



One finished fingerless glove, and a mate for it just started.  I made these using the Vancouver Fog pattern on Ravelry, in the same yarn to match my hat from last week.  I did tweak the pattern slightly - first, using smaller needles, because I knew I'd need to in order to get gauge, and second, to add "fingerless fingers."  I prefer that to having just the "sleeve" around my hand, because I think the short little finger tubes keep the whole thing in place better.  Anyway, I'm pleased with how the first turned out, and being a quick knit, should have the second one done in time to use them a bit before spring arrives.  Given Monday's snowstorm, I guess it may be awhile anyway.

Currently in my head:

Kitten's First Full Moon.  My daughter LOVES cats.  She really, really adores them.  We can't wait to be able to get her one of her own, but in the meantime, we keep a steady stream of cat-themed books coming into the house.  This is her latest favorite.  The illustrations are lovely (black and white), although I am personally more partial to the sing-song rhythms of her last favorite, So Many Cats ("we had a cat, an only cat, it was a sad and lonely cat...")

Take Three Tenses.  I've been on a Rumer Godden kick for awhile now, and am enjoying this novel that I hadn't previously read before.  Not quite as much as I enjoyed China Court and In This House of Brede and Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy, but still thoroughly enjoying.  She wrote such lovely novels, and as a literary geek and T.S. Eliot fan, this one has extra appeal, because she weaves portions of Eliot's poem East Coker throughout.

Currently on my heart:

Lent starts today.  Actually, I'm writing this Tuesday, which when I post it will be yesterday ("time present and time past"!), so that I can just log in, post my draft, and go back to observing a quiet day.  I don't have grand plans for this Lent, just little ones, but I'm hoping that through little things God's grace might make big changes in me.  As such, I'm turning my heart thoughts towards the transforming power of His spirit, and delving into a book that my mom bought me awhile back, which I hadn't really worked my way through yet: Choosing Beauty.  I'll let you know how I like it, after I've read a bit more.

That's it for today!  Stay tuned for upcoming thoughts on 1) thinking about starting a Mom's group, and 2) learning to trust God's plan in whatever circumstances your life is currently offering.

May you have a blessed Ash Wednesday, and a holy journey this Lent, finding Christ through His Cross, so as to merit the glory of His Resurrection!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Kitten is a fave around here too! Great read!

Lise said...

Your gloves look beautiful!

Thanks for the "So Many Cats" recommendation--looks like one we'd like.

Do you know "I Like Cats" by Patricia Hubbell? That's one of our favorites, and it has that singsongy rhythm that's so fun to read (I like cats. Thin cats, fat cats, curl up in your hat cats.") And it's got great endpapers with zillions of cats to study and a title page with many many cats with their names--we read that page over and over and over!

mphc said...

I absolutely like the fingerless gloves. They look difficult to make :) Greetings from a german reader!