Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Yarn Along #1

I figured it was high time I jump on the Yarn Along bandwagon.  I've actually done quite a lot knitting this winter (a lot, at least, given my current responsibilities), but I haven't documented most of it.  I'm hoping doing Yarn Alongs will motivate me to keep knitting into the summertime, when historically I tend to forget about warm, woolly projects.

Anyway, here's my latest project - I just finished it this past weekend.  Technically the second time I'd made it - I knit the whole hat over my Thanksgiving vacation (a couple of days), then tried it on and found it was a little bit too big.  I tried to rip it out from the bottom to take an inch off, but found that it's nearly impossible to rip cables out from the bottom up.  It was such a mess that I had to unravel the entire thing and start over... live and learn, I guess.  I did cast it back on (with smaller needles) and knit a couple of rows immediately, but I just didn't have the heart to go any further for awhile.  So I finished a hat and gloves for my cousin, hat and gloves for my husband, hat for my brother-in-law, and then finally picked this back up three weeks ago.


I used the "Tuppence's Aran Cloche" pattern by Danny Ouellette, found here on Ravelry.   The pattern directions were pretty easy to follow (I loved that there was both a cabling chart, and written instructions).  The yarn is Paton's Classic Merino in (I think - I can't find my yarn wrapper at the moment) Jade Heather.

Here's a closeup of the cabling pattern:


I'm such a sucker for cables.  I love all things Celtic, and Celtic knotwork is no exception.  When I was 16, I made a whole sweater out of these sorts of cables - it took me nearly a year - and like the hat, turned out just a bit too big for me.  I didn't have the heart to unravel that project, so my Mom got a nice new sweater.  You'd think I'd have learned my lesson about needing to do a gauge sample, but no... I still can't be bothered.

A gratuitous pic or two of my little hat model (it's sized for me, so definitely too big for her, but cute nonetheless)



As for what I'm currently reading: I've been switching around a lot, but A Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh is what I'm primarily reaching for, with Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy (by Rumer Godden) falling a close second. 


Find more Yarn Alongs over at Small Things.

Have a great day everyone!  May you be blessed with ample time to knit and read!

8 comments:

Josée said...

Nice hat, the cables are so beautiful. I didn't realize you were a knitter, how fun!

Abby said...

Thanks, Josee! Yes, a knitter from way back. I actually don't remember learning to knit, because my mom taught me at such a young age (I think I learned to knit and read around the same time). Growing up in 4-H and raising sheep, it was definitely a good skill to have, and I learned to spin as well. I don't get a lot of time to do either, these days, but I just love to knit when I get the chance. I read somewhere recently that knitting, kneading bread, and rocking a baby in a rocking chair have something in common, and I think they are right.. there is something so soothingly, repetitively, comforting about it.

Love the dress your making for your daughter, by the way! Did you figure out the sleeves? I haven't yet taken a close look at the pattern to see if I could make any sense of it.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Love your hat - the cables are awesome! I'm like you with knitting swatches...I tend not to do that, though I probably should!

Shelley @ Kitten Knits Yarn
http://kittenyarnsandcrafts.blogspot.com

Erin said...

this is amazing! Great work!

Ginny said...

That is a really beautiful hat! I enjoyed both the books you are reading, especially five for sorrow ten for joy.

Amy said...

Just popping in from Yarn Along to say "hi". I love the cables in this hat. Maybe you should enter it into the St. Pat's Day contest on Ravelry?

Jenny said...

love the hat! beautiful work.

Abby said...

Thanks everyone! And Amy - there's a St. Pat's day contest on Ravelry? I haven't heard about it - tell me more! I currently have a pair (well, actually just the first one, so far) of fingerless gloves in progress to match the hat.