Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Yarn Along #5

I'm not sure why these Yarn Along posts seem to be the only kind of writing I can handle at the moment.  For some reason, there always seems to be something more pressing in the queue of things I need to do than to write a post here.  And yet I have so many things that I'd like to talk about!  Thoughts about trusting God when life is tough and the way is unclear; about "spring blues" and this curious feeling of apathy that's been dogging me lately; about the challenges and joys that an almost two-year-old is bringing to my life every day.  But the only thing I manage to do somewhat regularly is document my knitting.  I'm hoping that as the weather warms up (it's still in the 40's most days here, and I feel like it's been raining non-stop), it'll be easier to get my work done (because my husband will be able to take our daughter out for walks when he gets home from work), and thus I'll have more time.  I hope.  In the meantime, I try to remind myself that I am taking care of the more important things, and that if writing here is truly important, from an eternal perspective, God will give me the time to do so.

Now: what's on my needles!


I'm still working on my Shalom sweater from last time around.  However, it's mostly done: probably less than six inches of stockinette and then an inch of garter stitch left to go, which shouldn't take me long at all.  I think I'll have it done by the end of the weekend, if not before, since we'll be traveling (this gives me a chance to knit in the car).  Then I just have to pick out a good button, and also fudge close the two extra buttonholes that I worked in and have now decide I won't need or want.

I have to say, I've been loving this revival of my passion for knitting.  I just ordered yarn for a couple more projects, which should keep me busy for at least the next several weeks.  The best part of rediscovering this particular hobby is that it's so wonderfully portable; I can pop my latest project in a bag and bring it to the doctor's office (if my daughter isn't coming, anyway), or knit in the car, or when we visit either set of grandparents.  I'm enjoying the process, and also enjoying the end results.  The next step is for me to branch out into different types of yarn; I've mostly been a "wool only" person (I raised sheep - go figure), but I'm intrigued by the variety of other natural fibers (cotton, modal, cashmere, etc).  And I've really been enjoying learning some new techniques, as well.  It's all made me very thankful for the solid skills that I learned as a child and teenager (thank you, Mom and 4-H), because it's now pretty easy for me to attempt fairly complex patterns.

As for the book accompanying the sweater: this is the book that I would be reading, if I could just find the time to read.  Actually, I have found time here and there (i.e. when LW will let me, while nursing) to flip through it at least.  It's called Honey for a Child's Heart, and is an absolutely lovely annotated list of children's books, which includes a lovely dose of Great Books philosophy.  I've been looking through it to see what books I might want to get for LW for her upcoming birthday; she's finally hit an age where she just loves to be read to, and it's time to expand her library a bit more.

Anyway, that's all for today, folks!  Have a blessed and holy Triduum, and a most joyful Easter!

As always, be sure to check out all the other Yarn Along links over at Small Things.

1 comment:

Josée said...

I know what you mean about trust, apathy and spring blues. Easter is quickly approaching and I just don't feel prepared and I'm feeling a bit apathetic about - bad I know! And then there is Spring... but it's still so cold out it feel like and extension of winter. Sigh... glad to see you are knitting though :)