Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Yarn Along # 4

What a crazy busy day it has been. All three of us were scheduled to have doctor's appointments today, although my husband eventually canceled his chiropractic one so that he could take our daughter to the dentist instead.  Dental visits are a huge trauma for both her *and* me - and I think it went easier, this time, because I didn't go.  All day, though, I've been thinking "it's Wednesday!  I've been knitting!  I want to post my Yarn Along!"  I'm sliding it in, just under the wire, and in the five minutes I have before my computer battery dies.

Anyway.  Picture time!

Here's what's currently on my needles, and on the side table being read:


It doesn't look like much yet, but it's the beginning of a Shalom sweater for me.  I liked the one I made for my daughter so much that I had to start one for myself.  The yarn is Cascade Yarns Eco Wool (in a natural chocolate brown), and the pattern can be found on Ravelry, or at Involving the Senses.  The yarn is pretty soft for being bulky and non-Merino, and I'm loving the lofty feel of it (and already imagining how nice the finished sweater will feel).  I also loved that one skein, which is almost 500 yards, should be enough for the whole project, and only cost $15.

Actually, I had the sweater completed all the way through the yoke yesterday, before trying it on and deciding to rip it all out and go up a needle size.  What you see here is what I was able to redo while waiting, and waiting, and waiting some more at the doctor's office today.

The book is one of my very favorites: Friends for the Journey, containing thoughts and dialogue on friendship by Madeleine L'Engle and Luci Shaw.  Love it, for more reasons than I can count, and it's hitting the spot right now.  It's making me realize, though, that I need to start being more proactive and try to find more friends.  Friends really do make the world go 'round...

Also, an update on my last project: I finished LW's Bloom dress!


I absolutely love how it turned out.  The K1P1 ribbing in the bodice has a ton of give, and I can tell it will fit LW for a long time to come.


The diamond lace pattern is just so perfectly pretty.  Plus, this project has definitely gotten me over my intimidation about lace knitting.  I'll be doing more projects like it in the near future, I'm sure!


Best of all, it fits LW well - lots of room to grow in to, but should be perfect for Easter.  I just need to decide on a ribbon color - white or darker purple - to finish it.  And she even (when she's not trying to take it off, that is) likes the dress (don't mind the trash can and recycling bin in the background.  When trying to catch a very active toddler on camera, you have to take whatever shot you can get).


That's all for today, folks - the battery is about to go.  Be sure to check out the Yarn Along roundup over at Small Things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful dress on a very happy little girl.

Alicia said...

Beautiful, beautiful work. You did great with the lace. I am going to take a good look at that pattern, I need a lace pattern that actually gets finished.
Alicia in New Zealand