Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Yum:

My husband and I have fallen, sometime since the birth of our daughter, into the habit of stopping for a "treat" on the way home from Mass.  Sometimes this means a croissant from the local bakery, more often a cup of coffee or a donut from DD.  However, with times tight, etc, we've been trying to tighten our belts just that a little bit further.  So today, instead of stopping, I said I'd make a treat once we got home.  And here it is:  a great treat for a Sunday (quick, easy, and feast-day delicious):

Cream Scones

This recipe (from the Joy of Baking) is great as is, but I do usually tweak it just a little bit.  Since I like my scones sweet, I use 1/3 cup of sugar instead of 1/4.  I also like to add in, when I have them on hand,  about 1/2 cup of chopped dried cranberries and 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate, and sprinkle the tops with sugar after brushing with cream (before baking).

DD's, and even the local bakery, have nothing on this "treat".  It's the perfect something to accompany a cup of tea, during the luxury of one's toddler's nap.


















A blessed Sabbath rest to all!

2 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

YUM. YUM! I love scones, and I've yet to find a *perfect* recipe, but, nonetheless, I'm having fun with the attempts :) This will be tried, and SOON!

Liz said...

I miss your scones...The great thing about making your own is that for probably the price of less than one scone from DD you can have a whole batch. You not only saved money, you got more scones in the process.

Of course making croissants is a lot more time consuming...