Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pumpkin deliciousness

I only have a minute, but I wanted to share a fabulous recipe that I heard about on the radio the other day, and which I made for our dinner tonight.  I try not to post recipes unless they are really dynamite ones - ones that I would make regularly because they are just that good, or ones that have some sort of special significance (like the St. Lucia day bread I'll post a link to in a couple of weeks), but trust me, this pumpkin recipe is worth a try.  It's not for the diet conscious, and is rich enough that you wouldn't want to eat it every week, but it's going into my repertoire for "special fall foods".

Here's the link (and the name really does tell the whole story):

"Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good" (from NPR)

To whet your appetite just a little: think bacon, cheese fondue, and roasted pumpkin, all in one.  Yum.  For bonus points, the whole thing took me less than 20 minutes to throw together, then went in the oven for two hours, at which point I just pulled it out and served it.  Little mess, and less fuss.

I have a theory, which I plan to test at some point, that it would make a fabulous dessert as well, if made sweet instead of savory with cinnamon raisin bread, cranberries, walnuts, and lightly sweetened cream cheese...

It's also a great way to use up leftovers for a cheap and fabulous meal: I used the stale remains of a loaf of french bread (from a spaghetti dinner earlier in the week), half a package of bacon that we'll have with "brinner" on the weekend (which would otherwise sit in the fridge and go bad, because we don't use bacon that much), and the tail end of a brick of cheddar cheese.  Definitely seems like a recipe that would well accommodate many different sorts of leftovers, though.

Anyway, try it!  Bon appetite!

3 comments:

Liz said...

I hear that even LW liked it. Sounds very close to cheese strata in a pumpkin, however, it has no eggs which is a good thing for your house at the moment.

Abby said...

Yes.. it was close to a strata, but without the "eggy" sort of texture (which is what I never liked about strata). It's more of a custard/fondue texture - creamy/cheesy. And yes, LW did mostly like it until she hit a piece of garlic :)

Josée said...

Ooo! looks tasty - thanks for sharing Abby!