Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Slowing down..

It's been a very busy couple of weeks: dress making, cake making, wedding festivities, and then a full week off for both my husband and I, which meant coming up with some fun things to do to make our vacation "count".  Towards the end of the week, my daughter came down with Coxsackie virus (if you've never heard of it, don't worry - I hadn't, either), so she was a miserable camper for a few days, and we ended up having to postpone our planned trip to the ocean.  Now I've got the same miserable sore throat that she had, and am finally listening to my body's cues to just slow down a little.  Hence the renewed quiet on the blogging front (I know, I've spent most of the summer apologizing for being quiet!)

The end of the summer always brings a particular frenzy of activity: that first burst of fall color in the trees sparks a sense of urgency, as I try to squeeze in every last one those activities planned back when summer was just an oasis glimpsed distantly through winter-sick eyes.  Complicating and adding to that last burst of planned fun, I always seem to experience a huge creativity surge as the weather gets cooler.  If you've ever played Sims2, they hit the nail on the head - the characters are more motivated to learn and do crafty things in the fall.  Not that I've had any time for such games since the stork dropped off LW, but the analogy comes back to me at times like these, just the same.

Anyway, I've got skirt patterns, patterns for LW, plans to make more throw pillows, and stacks of books that I'm gathering to read; plans to pick apples and put away crisps and butter like last year; harvesting, preserving, and also have some other ideas and projects that have been waiting for cooler weather and more indoor time.  I'm reflecting more on faith, on vocation, on who I am and who God is calling me to be.  I suppose it's always this way at the change of a season (which makes me wonder, what is it like in those parts of the world with no, or different, seasons?) - the space between seasons is a transition time, a "time-between-times" as in Celtic mythology, and as such, is a perfect time for reflecting, taking stock, and also for making plans for the future.  However, this end-of-summer cold is reminding me not to burn myself out in a frenzy of "enjoyment," but rather, to take some time just to be; to go on walks, or maybe just lay in bed and listen to the breeze (if I can get LW to occupy herself, somehow!)  In short, to enjoy the "now" of the end of summer.

So, what about all of you?  Do you experience an end-of-summer frenzy, or a burst of creative energy at the beginning of Fall?  Or how do you stay in the moment, in the midst of the always-moving busyness of life?

3 comments:

Liz said...

When the weather cools down, even a little bit, the knitting needles come back out again. Hence I've almost finished one of Aunt Susan's socks. Today I actually made some progress towards getting something together for LC folders, in case I ever manage to get a few clients. Of course there are some things I could do to help that along, like getting my business cards made before the fair so I can hand them out at rock and rest. If the house would just stay reasonably cool for a few days I might even manage to turn the computer room back into my sewing room and make space for LC office stuff as well. At the moment I'm still tripping over a monitor that rarely gets used, but still needs to be available to be accessed and bags of fleece that I suppose I really ought to be running through the spinning wheel... So projects galore do indeed await. I think that as much as I love summer that this past month has simply sapped me of any energy or enthusiasm simply because it's been so muggy.

I just ordered a couple of books by Kathleen Norris that I'll pass on to you once I've read them. I've enjoyed her in the past and these are some I saw some recommend to Danielle Bean.

Josée said...

Yep, I'm definitely in the end-of-summer frenzy right now. I'm looking forward to the fall when things cool down and life slows down. I have so many project waiting to be picked up and started. Sigh... only a few more weeks :)

Joy Palakkal said...

Nice blogging!!!
wish o wonderful week end!!!