Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sewing project: completed!

Thank heavens, the dress is done.. just in time for me to turn my eyes to the cake project instead (starting tomorrow).  The big weekend is ahead of us... which has somewhat overshadowed the fact that Monday was Jim's and my big weekend (our two year anniversary!).   More on that sometime next week, when I finally take a long-awaited vacation.

The dress (don't mind my poor modeling skills and the door in the background - it's pretty hard to get a good picture via a timer, and I didn't have anyone around old enough to work a camera)


Also, a picture of the dress plus wrap for Mass:



A closeup of the wrap and pattern material (even prettier in person - it's a light blue linen with shiny, raised embroidered flowers in a slightly darker blue):


For those who asked, I used a "New Look" pattern - I hadn't used that brand before, but was quite pleased with the clarity of the instructions and the fit (granted, like always, I had to take in a bit at the zipper to get the sizing right).  I also disregarded their instructions which said to do a bodice lining with the spaghetti straps only attached in the front, then hand sew them on top of that lining; I instead left the back seam undone until I was ready to attach the straps, then sewed them directly into the seam for a more polished appearance to the final project.  I'm just sort of a 4-H sewing snob like that :)

Anyway, I would write more, but LW is done with her lunch, and therefore my time is up (why do my posts always have to end that way...)

8 comments:

Allison said...

I really like it! And I think it looks awesome with the wrap, good job!

Karen said...

It looks great!! Good job!

Liz said...

Finding that wrap (especially when you were looking for a shrug) in such an absolutely perfect color was truly serendipity.

Michelle Therese said...

God bless you for having such good health! It's so fun watching/reading your adventures through your blog. You're inspiring and I can't wait to start up some projects of my own once I get my strength back :-) :-)

Anonymous said...

You did a gorgeous job! I especially love the gather across the front. You look lovely wearing it :)

Abby said...

Thanks, all, for the compliments! I definitely really like this dress. I also always love wearing things that I have made; sewing is a little like labor - the process can be excruciating, but you forget all about it (or at least enough to decide to do it again) once it is all over.

Abby said...

Oh, and Coffee Catholic - I'm praying for the return of your health! It is so hard to be laid up and unable to do what you'd like. I got a little taste of that after my daughter was born, because I couldn't walk well for a couple of weeks - it was plenty of a taste of what it would be like to be more chronically disabled or ill, and I really empathize with those who struggle every day to do things the rest of us just take for granted. Prayers for healing for you!

Josée said...

Very sweet! Good job, I wish I had the patience for such a project :)