Saturday, October 16, 2010

No time, no time!

"Time is what we want most, but what, alas! we use worst; and for which God will certainly most strictly reckon with us, when Time shall be no more." - William Penn
I have so many things I'd love to be blogging about these days, but somehow all my time from waking to sleeping (and back around again) is eaten up with all sorts of other things: big things, little things, monotonous things, exciting things, but all offline things.  It's amazing how the vocation of marriage and motherhood can and does demand all of you (and then some): all your time, all your patience, all your energy, all your attention, all your life.  I wouldn't have it any other way, but I do hope that I can also find tidbits of time, soon, where writing can find a regular niche in my days as well.

In the meantime, until I get back to telling the story of my horse, or sharing some other thought that is on my mind, I'll leave you with one of my other favorite quotes about time.  My great aunt shared this with me when I was a teenager, and it's stuck with me ever since.  Although I don't know who the original author was, and I realize that it could certainly be seen as trite or cliche if read in the wrong manner, it is still a valuable way to rightly weigh which "things" I'll allow to eat up my time, and conversely, which aren't worth the cost:
"What I do today is important; I am exchanging a day of my life for it."
When you look back at the end of your life, which "things" were worth the exchange of one of those precious days?  And which "exchanges," if you could, would you take back, and purchase something more lasting with?

Happy Sunday everyone, and a holy day of Sabbath rest to all.

No comments: